Monday 29 January 2007

Battle Manoeuvres

When I was growing up my father used to give me posters, stickers and plaques with pictures of people running up endless hills or clinging desperately to the sides of mountains.

The posters bore inspirational messages of the kind that forged financial empires in the early 1980’s so that they could collapse under the weight of their own debt in the late 1980’s.
I am sure many people would remember the kind of poster I am talking about. They had with messages like:
“The Race is not in the Winning but in the Courage to wear really short shorts while running”
or
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single argument about which way to go”
or even
“know your enemy, know yourself and the outcome will
never be in doubt”.
The last one I know is from Sun Tzu, and it is very true, I always knew who the enemy was and what they were capable of and the outcome was never it doubt because it was the same every time – knowing the enemy is no relief when the outcome is having the snot thwacked out of you.

Due to a youth steeped in these and other inspirational messages I have been duly brainwashed into not giving up easily, and in fact I am invigorated by the upcoming battle for the space that I one day hope will be graced with an obscenely large television screen - possibly when TV is obsolete and everyone else has moved onto holovision or something.
Mrs Grendel is buoyed by the prospect of a potential new scrapping space and is therefore well motivated herself.

This should be fun.

No comments: